10 December 2015
Where in the World are 6 universities under one roof ? answer - INVERNESS
Highland Pharmacy Education Centre (HPERC) a collaboration between Robert Gordon University (RGU) and NHS Highland has taken space within the Centre for Health Science (CfHS) to establish a teaching and training facility for Pharmacy. Robert Gordon is the sixth university to be welcomed into the centre as part of the Wider Collaborative Campus associated with Raigmore Hospital, LifeScan, Scotland and Inverness Campus.
This venture stemmed from RGU developing a Masters degree programme in Pharmacy for international students coming from Oman. The post graduate students will spend their second year in Inverness and the surrounding area undertaking clinical placements and research work.
Gordon Rushworth, HPERC Programme Director said, “The opening of the HPERC is the culmination of years of work establishing an effective teaching and research collaboration between NHS Highland and RGU School of Pharmacy & Life Sciences. HPERC will deliver innovative clinical placement teaching to undergraduate and postgraduate pharmacy students in Highland and be at the forefront of clinical and practice based research.”
Pharmacy education at Robert Gordon University has been hailed joint No.1 in the UK in an official government ranking.
Ninety-nine per cent of students of the Master of Pharmacy (MPharm) course have said they are satisfied with its quality. This places the Scottish university joint highest with Queen’s University, Belfast and ahead of 27 other UK pharmacy courses.
Already five other universities are present in the Centre for Health Science:
- University of the Highlands and Islands, Department of Diabetes and Cardiovascular Reseach, Lipodomics reseach, Oral Health Science
- University of Aberdeen, Highland Medical Education Centre, undergradute medical school.
- University of Stirling, Provision of nursing, midwifery and clinical skills education and research,
- Glasgow School of Art, a collaboration with NHS Education for Scotland, the satellite Digital Design Studio offers world leading research to digitally document human anatomy, 3D visualisation and haptic (touch) training tools for the medical professions.
- Dundee University, Dentistry and Dental Health, final year training using multi chair dental training school facility.
Lindsey Moodie, Collaborative Campus Programme Manager noted, " Joint collaboration between academia and businesses to expand on the successful model demonstrated by the Centre for Health Science is the cornerstone of developing the Wider Campus".
For more information contact Lindsey on +44 (0) 1463 234 171 or e mail >>